I'm going to share with you healthier version of carrot cake with no butter, no artificial sugar and it is low in fat and low in calories.
Most carrot cakes I’ve tried tend to be overly sweet and extremely high in calories. This recipe however, is naturally sweeten, very moist, crunchy and it’s actually good for you. So my mum and the rest of the friends could enjoy the cake without feeling guilty.
So let’s start by make the cake. The ingredients you’ll need are:
1) 1 cup Whole Wheat / White / Mixture flour – 432Cals
2) 2.5 tsp Baking Powder – 5Cals
3) 1 tsp Cinnamon / Mixed Spices – 6Cals
4) 2 Eggs – 160Cals
*Omit this for Vegans
5) ½ cup Honey or Maple Syrup – 515.5Cals
6) ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 477.5Cals
7) ½ cup Applesauce, unsweetened – 51.5Cals
8) 1 tsp Vanilla Extract – 12Cals
9) 1.5 cups Carrots, peeled & grated – 67.5Cals
10) ½ cup ground Cashew Nuts, – 393Cals
**Option: Any other nuts of your choice
Total Cals – 2120Cals
Per Serving – 176.6Cals
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder and mixed spices. Set aside.
3) In a large bowl, beat the eggs on high speed for about one minute until foamy.
4) Add in the honey and beat on high speed for another 3 – 4 minutes until well combined.
5) Then stir in the olive oil, applesauce and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.
6) Next, add in ½ of the flour mixture and stir until just combine. Add in the remaining flour mixture. Stir well.
7) Finally, fold in the grated carrots and cashew nuts.
8) Grease either a heart-shaped or 8-inch cake tin with a little bit of olive oil.
9) Pour the batter into the cake tin and spread out evenly.
10) Place in the oven and bake for 30 – 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
While waiting for the cake to bake in the oven, let’s go ahead and make our light and healthy cream cheese frosting. Only 3 main ingredients:
Cream Cheese Frosting
1) 3oz (85g) Cream Cheese – 228Cals
2) ¼ cup plain Yoghurt – 42Cals
3) ½ tsp Vanilla Extract – 6Cals
4) 2 tbsp Stevia for extra sweetness **optional
Total Cals – 276Cals
1) In a pan or bowl, beat the cream cheese until soft for about 1 minute.
2) Add in the yoghurt and vanilla extract. Continue to beat for 2 – 3 minutes until smooth and well combined.
3) Finally stir in the Stevia. You can choose to omit this if you do not have Stevia.
4) Chill the cream cheese frosting in the fridge until ready to use.
Total Cake Cals – 2396Cals / 10
Per Cake – 200Cals
1/3 cup (60g) Cashew Nuts topping – 276.5Cals /12 = 23Cals
Per Cake with Cashew Nuts Topping – 223Cals
11) Once the cake is done, remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely to room temperature before assembling and frosting your cake.
If your cake is still warm, your frosting will melt.
So cover the entire cake generously with frosting. This step can be tedious, so really take your time and just enjoy the process. Because we’re using yoghurt, this ‘light & healthy’ frosting will be thinner than the typical butter and sugar loaded frosting. Don’t worry about it, the frosting will thicken in the fridge.
Once the entire cake is covered with frosting, it’s time to decorate the cake how YOU like it. I’ll top my cake with 1/3 cup of ground cashew nuts and decorate with sliced strawberries around the heart topped with few blueberries.
Present your cake how you would like it. So try different toppings. This cake is best eaten the same day, but chill it in the fridge if it’s not eaten right away. It will last up 3 – 4 days in the fridge.
This Skinny & Healthy Carrot Cake is very moist with added crunchiness from the nuts, it is sweetened with natural goodness from the honey and applesauce, and you can actually taste and bite into the carrots.
One serving of cake with cream cheese frosting only has about 200Cals, which is less than the traditional single layer recipe, which has more than 300 Cals.
Because these are all naturally ingredients, which are good for you, you and your loved ones can enjoy the cake without feeling guilty.
So be sure to try my “Skinny Healthy Carrot Cake” recipe and bake it for your loved ones. You can also choose to make 12 mini carrot muffins and have it for breakfast or even snack.