lower, strength, low impact
• Begin by standing tall with your feet shoulder-width apart and pointing straight ahead, arms by your waist. Engage your abdominal muscles, straighten your back and look straight ahead.
• Then take a wide step forward with your right leg. Lower your hips toward the floor by bending your legs to 90°. Continue down until your left knee nears the floor then press through your right heel to return to the starting position.
• With the same leg, take a big step to your right into a side lunge, toes pointed slightly outward. Your left leg will remain straight while your right leg bends to nearly a 90° angle at the hip and knee. Press through your right heel to return to the starting position.
• Still with the same leg, take a big step backward into a reverse lunge.
• Complete the desired number of repetitions on one leg, then repeat the exercise with your left leg.
• Keep your chest up, back straight and look ahead.
• Avoid leaning your body forward or backward.
• Do not let either heel turn inward. Keep feet in line with the legs.
• Your knees shouldn’t go pass your toes.
• The back heel should always be lifted slightly.
You should feel your:
• Glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves.