I’ll never forget the first time I tasted real Greek yoghurt when I traveled to Greece. The rich and creamy texture made me want more. I was there for 3 weeks, I remember having Greek yoghurt in all my meals.
Greek Yoghurt much higher in protein compared to milk. An average serving has between 12 - 17g protein. It is also packed with probiotics, which aids digestion and reduce bloating.
Even if you’re lactose intolerance, you’ll find that Greek yoghurt is easier to digest because of the bacterial breakdown of the milk’s sugars. I can’t take milk, but I can consume yoghurt without any issues.
Greek yoghurt is such a versatile ingredient, which can be used as a cream, butter or mayo replacement. I’m going to share with you how I’ve added Greek yoghurt into 3 of my favourite recipes.
1) HEALTHY BANANA WALNUT MUFFINS
Dreaming of healthy muffins without packing on sugar, calories and unhealthy fats? A lot of you have been requesting for my ultimate guilt-free Banana Walnut Muffins made with Greek yoghurt.
What you’ll need are:
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 1/2 cup Greek Yoghurt- 140Cals
- 1.5 cup Rolled Oats- 525Cals
- 2 Bananas, mashed- 210Cals
- 2 Eggs, beaten- 130Cals
- 2 tbsps. Honey- 128Cals
- 1/4 cup Crushed Walnuts- 131Cals
- 2 tbsps. Cranberries- 44Cals
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 180°C or 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mash 2 large bananas, then whisk in 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of Greek yoghurt and about 2 tbsps. honey. Stir until well combined and set aside.
- Blend, 1.5 cups rolled oats until fine.
- In a separate bowl, mix in all the dry ingredients: 1.5 cups of oats, 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/4 cup crushed walnuts and about 2 tbsps. cranberries.
- Then combine the wet and dry ingredients together. Keep mixing until you get an even batter.
- Divide equally to 12 cupcake liners and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until muffins are cooked through.
These muffins are super healthy, packed with fibre and the goodness of Greek yoghurt. Each muffin has 109 calories. I love to have them as my snack or even for my breakfast. You got to try it out!
2) LOW FAT CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP
Everybody loves a hearty bowl of mushroom soup. My secret to making it creamy and healthy is of course to add Greek yoghurt into the mix.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 cup Greek Yoghurt- 280Cals
- 400g Mixed Wild Mushrooms, sliced- 60Cals
- 1 large Yellow Onion, diced- 50Cals
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced- 10Cals
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock- 60Cals
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil- 112Cals
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice- 3Cals
- 2 tsps. Mixed Herbs
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Sautee the garlic, onions and mushroom until fragrant and golden brown. Set aside.
- In a large pot, add vegetable stock and 3/4 of the sautéed ingredients and bring to a boil. Then remove from heat and puree all the ingredients with a hand blender until creamy and smooth.
- Next, stir in the remaining mushrooms, Greek Yoghurt and season with lemon juice, mixed herbs and salt and pepper. Serve hot.
This recipe is very low in calories, with less than 100 cals. It’s an extremely good source of fibre, which keeps you full for longer. So instead of the traditional creamy mushroom soup, which is loading with cream, high in fat and calories, try this healthier alternative. Cook it for your family and friends, they’ll love it!
3) HEALTHY “MAYO” DRESSING
Let’s be honest, mayo makes everything taste better. But do you know that 1 tbsp. of mayo has a whopping 94 calories, which can ruin your diet? Let’s make a much healthier “mayonnaise ” dressing using Yoghurt, at only 19 Cals per tbsp.
Ingredients (makes 8 tablespoons)
- ½ cup Yoghurt –140Cals
- ¼ cup Mint Leaves, finely chopped – 4Cals
- 1/2 tbsp. Lemon Juice – 2Cals
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced – 5Cals
- Pinch of Salt & Pepper to taste
- Simply mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- You can choose to chill in the fridge before serving.
I like it mix it with chicken breast, chopped onions and cranberries and make myself a hearty chicken sandwich. Or spread it with eggs to make a much healthier egg mayo sandwich.
This dressing adds creaminess to your ingredients and it’s extremely tasty. Once you discover this recipe, you’ll never miss the regular mayonnaise again! Try it out and let me know how you like to use this dressing in your cooking.
What other recipes have you tried out using Greek yoghurt. Let me know in the comments below.